Mary Kay Ash (1918–2001)
Saleswoman and entrepreneur
Determination is one of my best traits. I rarely give up. I love the sense of completion and have typically been able to see most things through.
I particularly enjoy tackling a new project and learning a new skill. I’ve learned to master most tools and have even single handedly remodeled my own kitchen and bathroom. Well, I did have to ask for help on a few things, but my determination allowed me to learn how to put in a new floor, wainscoting and cabinets in the kitchen. I loved the idea of doing the work myself.
There are quite a few times in my life where determination paid off for me:
- I won as first place musician playing a bass clarinet when I was 17.
- I was turned down for a loan on a house so I bought a race car at Laguna Seca and learned to cross country race.
- I was afraid of flying, so I got my pilots license in 1985.
- I learned to ski when I was 27 and went on to win an Intermediate 1st place downhill race in 1989.
- I went into corporate sales in 1980 and became one of the top ten sales people out of 300 within two years.
- I was terrified of speaking in public and now it is one of my passions.
- I wrote my first book when I was 50; my eighth will be release in the spring.